Lvl: 1

Starting off the first week of development we got to work on the skeleton of the game. There are still more goals for this first sprint but for the first week I wanted to just get the player moving around and get a better sense of how to use tilemaps in 2d Unity.

The absolute first thing I did was go on the asset store to find some free placeholders to use for the time being, all I wanted to start was a basic set of platform tiles and a player character so I wouldn’t have to use a rectangle for the foreseeable future. Fortunately I found both without much effort, including a player sprite that came with some basic animations like walking and jumping along with things I want to use in the future like attacking and blocking. I still plan to use my own assets at some point in the future but having this to make things look correctly and just to make sure everything works is very helpful. After that I set up a basic character controller script to just facilitate movement, jumping, and crouching. I plan to expand it greatly once I get further into development, mainly during sprint 2 when the leveling mechanics are implemented. So the last step I took this week was learning to set those animations up. It was my first time using an animation controller on Unity so it was interesting to see how little code was involved in that process. I always thought the animations were queued up in the scripts but all that needed to be included there was a few variables for the animation controller to read.

The biggest challenge I faced this week was just getting back into Unity and learning how to use the 2d elements I hadn’t done much with in the past. For the most part all of my Unity work was in 3d and while a lot of the structural elements carry over there were things like tilemaps and sprite sheets that I had worked with before but never had to implement myself. 

A good amount of time was spent this week on research on how to do much of what we wanted to do. Fortunately there was no shortage of resources online for this between articles and video tutorials on individual components of unity development. The best lesson I learned this week would just be how specific of resources and guides we could find. I knew there was a trove of information out there but I was still a bit surprised to find something so specific as to “Melee attacks in Unity”. I plan to take great advantage of these resources in the future, especially as I come to more and more complicated processes. Beyond that the main things I learned this week just feed back into learning more about 2d Unity. I had some degree of understanding before going into this, mainly with the initial demo the previous semester, but getting a refresher on some of the most relevant components was very helpful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *